UPI Strategic Plan
UPI STRATEGIC PLAN (3/4/2023)
Developed by: Oscar Sa. Garcia, Chairman
UPI Board Of Directors
IMPORTANT NOTE: UPI BOARD OF DIRECTORS, Oscar Sa. Garcia, Chairman; Nedy Lao, Vice Chairperson, and Members Reggie Cagampan; Linda Mascardo; Cesar Adan; Delia Bona; Helen Hansen, Romy Macaoay and Norma De Guzman have thoroughly reviewed this document, and invaluable inputs were embedded, adapted and incorporated in this Strategic Plan.
The purpose of the Strategic Plan is to create a guideline, sort of a map showing where we are, where we are going and how to get there. Sort of a target that we can aim to hit. You see, the best of the marksmen could not hit the target if he/she does not have one.
GOAL: TO BECOME A PREMIER FILIPINO ORGANIZATION FOCUSED IN SERVING FILIPINOS WORLDWIDE IN THE FIELDS OF SOCIAL; ECONOMIC; EDUCATIONAL, HUMANITARIAN AND WHATEVER ELSE WHICH MAY CONTRIBUTE TO OUR WELFARE AND WELL BEING!
VISION: TO SUCCESSFULLY ACHIEVE OUR GOAL, ACCOMPLISH OUR OBJECTIVES AND REALIZE EVERY TACTIC TO EFFECTIVELY BENEFIT THE FILIPINO PEOPLE!
I – STRATEGIES (Long range objectives that can be accomplished in a year or more):
1. Establish Financial Stability
- Own Our Own Building
- Establish Significant Community Involvement
- Develop Educational Assistance Program
- Establish Youth Organization Under UPI Wing
- Develop Comprehensive Membership Recruitment and Retention Drive
- ESTABLISH FINANCIAL STABILITY
1A. TACTICS (Short range objectives achievable in less than a year):
- Solicit Corporate Membership
- Membership Dues
- Casino Run
- Dinner Dance
- Jam Session
- Elephant Sales
- Bake Sales
- Golf Tournaments
- Bowling Tournaments
- Major Events
- Monthly/Regular Meetings
- Sponsoring Walkathon Events
- Beauty Competition
- Solicit thru letters and website.
- Garage Sales
- OWN OUR OWN BUILDING (To establish a headquarter): 2A. TACTICS (How to accomplish)
- BEAUTY COMPETITION
- Miss Philippines
- Little Miss Philippines
- Mrs. Philippines
- COMPETITION GUIDELINES
- Candidates to be given Raﬄe tickets and Filipiniana Night tickets (Coronation Night) to sell. Candidates can put up their own money and/or solicit donation. One dollar is an equivalent to one (1) vote.
- There will be three (3) separate dates (tbd) to count the votes. The final counting will be at the last Saturday in September.
- Candidates in each category garnering the highest votes will
earn the title and will receive 20% of their total votes equivalent in dollars. The 2nd highest vote getters in each category will receive 15% of their total votes equivalent in dollars. The rest of the remaining candidates will receive 10% of their total votes equivalent in dollars.
- Seventy (70) percent of the total competition proceeds goes to the Building restricted fund (cannot be touched for other than the building purchase only).
- Thirty (30) percent of the total proceeds of the competition goes to the organization’s operational fund until such time a building is purchased and owned by UPI. At which time, 10% of the above 30% will go to the Building Administrative fund.
- UPI commissions a Beauty competition Committee (assign the Committee name). The committee will commence their activities no later than March of that year and carry on until the Filipiniana (Coronation) Night is over. The committee will set the three specific dates to count the votes.
- The beauty competition recruitment, though the responsibiity
of the committee, all hands are encouraged to help out. No date is to early to start prospecting and recruiting Beauty Competition candidates.
- Selling Raﬄe and Filipiniana tickets shall be all hands responsibility as well.
- The committee will determine the raﬄe prizes. The raﬄe drawing will be on the same day as the last counting of ballots.
- The Beauty Competition committee and the June 12 parade will all be under the purview of the Philippine Faire Chairperson.
- ESTABLISH SIGNIFICANT COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: 3A. TACTICS (Actual Activities)
a. UPI PHILIPPINE FAIRE (June 12th or there about, annually or
once every two years).
- Secure a venue (i.e. Plaza Bonita Parking Lot or Liberty Station)
- Secure permit and other requirements from the City.
- Contract with a company for the installation of Stage, giant canopy 9for flag and ribbon cutting ceremonies) entertainments, etc…, booths for rent.
- Invite food vendors must secure their own health permits), companies, Recruiting Teams other organizations, etc…
- Invite/sign contracts with entertainment companies, rides (i.e.
ferris wheels, merry go round’s, etc.)
- Presentation and awarding of scholars.
b. PHILIPPINE INDEPENDENCE DAY PARADE
1. Determine from where it will start and where will it end (Philippine Faire site).
- Secure permit and necessary requirements.
- Invite organizations, fraternities and clubs (to include the Antique Car Clubs to display and parade their antique cars).
- Encourage organizations, fraternities and companies/ corporations to have float entries.
- UPI to have a float displaying Ms., Mrs., and Little Misses and their runners up.
- FILIPINIANA (CORONATION) NIGHT
- Secure the biggest venue in town.
- Develope a POA&M.
- CHARITABLE/HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS
1. Feed The Homeless
2. Honor The Seniors
3a. VA Hospitals 3b. Balboa Hospital
3c. Wounded Warriors, etc… Activities 3d. Law Enforcement Volunteer Program
(i.e. Police, Highway Patrol, City Commissions, etc…)
- Calamity Aids
4a. Artesian Wells
4b. New/Used clothes, shoes, etc… 4c. Dry/Canned Goods
4e. Monetary Donations
- Medical Assistance
5a. Filipinos in distress 5b. Indigent Filipinos
6. Legal Assistance
6a. Filipinos subjected to legal charges
- CIVIC DUTIES
- Voter Registration
- Manning Election Precincts
- APOSTOLIC DUTIES
1a. Church Activities 1b. Etc…
- DEVELOP EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
4A. TACTICS (Promulgate Scholarship Guidelines)
- Appropriate Funding
- State the purpose/s of the Program.
b1. To provide opportunity to ooutstanding graduating high school to broaden their educational horizons
b2. To reward students who are exemplary role models at their schools and community.
c1. Competition in this program will be and will continue to be particularly keen. Interested high school graduating students should commence preparation early.
d1. Must be of a Filipino heritage.
d2. Must be a graduating high school senior and accepted by an accredited College or University for enrollment following selection. Minimum GPA must be equivalent to 85 percentile (oﬃcial transcript must be provided).
d3. Must be an active participant of high school organization/s, club/s, any high school extra-curricular activity/ies, and/or active participant in City or County or organization project/s.
d4. Must provide a letter of recommendation from an adult who supervised the applicant during involvement with any activity mentioned in d3 above.
d5. Must submit a typewritten, double-spaced essay regarding the importance of community involvement and volunteer work. d6. Must have no record of criminal activity/ies; no driving while under the influence (DUI) and current or previous drug or alcohol abuse involvement.
d7. Must provide a full length photograph and date taken.
d8. Must complete scholarship application.
d9. Must be available for interview by the UPI Scholarship Selection Board or Representative.
d10 Application must be received by March 15 on the year of graduation.
- Selection Process
e1. The organization will convene a Scholarship Selection Board and its decision is final.
f1. A Scholarship award certificate.
f2. A $500.00 monetary award per awardee. UPI Executive Council authorizes the number of scholars each year) selected by the Selection Board.
4B. TACTICS (Donation to RP Schools)
- Drinking Fountains
- ORGANIZE YOUTH ORGANIZATION
5A. TACTICS (Place under the wing of UPI)
- Invite younger adults to the meeting.
a1. 18 to 25 years old
a2. UPI TO assist in recruiting potential members
- Appropriate financial support until it is fully organized
- UPI to assist in the organizing process and creation of its Constitution & Bylaws.
- Provide thrust, leadership and direction.
- UPI to incorporate an Article/s in its C&BL legitimizing the existence of the Youth organization.
- Assist develop programs specific to the youths
- DEVELOP COMPREHENSIVE MEMBERSHIP RECRUITING AND RETENTION DRIVE
- All hands to invite prospective members to UPI Meetings
a3. Regular Membership
a4. UPI Events and Activities
- Thru Website
- Thru Newspapers
- Thru Newsletters
- Announcements at other organization’ meetings, events and activities.
- Encourage establishment of Chapters worldwide, concentrating
on stateside first and slowly working outward to other parts of the globe.
IMPLEMENTING THE STRATEGIC PLAN
1. Prioritize all the strategies and tactics according to the organization’s degree of importance.
- Create a committee
- Develop a Plan Of Action
- Anything that requires action
- Venue, tickets and distribution, Venue set up and decoration etc…
- Assign accountable Oﬃcer/Member
- Determine starting and completion date.
- Anything that requires action
- Submit and approve budget for the event or project.
- Determine frequency of progress meeting up to the time just before the event.
- Post event meeting
- Analysis of event happenings.
- Success or Failure
- Lessons Learned and actions to improve applying “continuous Process Improvement” System.
- Analysis of event happenings.
- Identify and determine anything important that was not covered, and solicit ideas for solutions.
UNITED PILIPINO INTERNATIONAL (UPI)
S T R A T E G I C P L A N
OSCAR Sa. GARCIA, Chairman United Pilipino International
IMPORTANT NOTE: The UPI Board Of Directors, Chairman Oscar Sa. Garcia; Vice Chairperson Nedy Lao; Directors: Reggie Cagampan, Erlinda Mascardo; Cesar Adan; Delia Bono; Helen Hansen, Romy Macaoay and Norma De Guzman have thoroughly reviewed this document, and invaluable inputs were embedded, adapted and incorporated, thereby ameliorating this Strategic Plan.